Google pulls out of next smartphones sold in Turkey



The sale of Android smartphones accounted for nearly 80% of the national market last year, or about 10 million devices.

The new Android smartphones sold in Turkey since Thursday 12 December no longer have access to Google's services, report our colleagues from Echos. The Turkish Competition Authority had forced the giant to further open its Android operating system to competition.

In response, the Mountain View firm announced to smartphone manufacturers that it was no longer granting them new licenses for devices destined for the Turkish market. As a result, they no longer have access to the Google Play Store. This includes Google Photos, Google Maps, Google Chrome and YouTube.

Android accounted for 80% of the Turkish market

"The existing device models remain on sale and will continue to operate normally," said a spokesperson for the US giant, whose comments were reported by Les Echos. The move is likely to be a problem for Turkey, as the sale of Android smartphones accounted for 80 percent of the national market in 2018, or 10 million devices, the media outlet said.

Google explained its reaction by stating that the company had made huge investments to develop Android, an operating system then provided free of charge to smartphone manufacturers. Turkey has not yet reacted.

Post a Comment

0 Comments